Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
In 'Summer Gatherings' by Rick Rodgers
- 4 pints mixed berries, such as blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, hulled sliced strawberries
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (or more to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and thinly sliced
- 2⁄3 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- vanilla ice cream
- Combine the berries, sugar, orange juice, and butter in a nonreactive, heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Cook until the berries give off their juices, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the dissolved cornstarch and return to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Meanwhile, make the dumplings.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Add the butter, and using a pastry blender or a large fork, cut the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture looks crumbly with a few pea-sized pieces of butter.
- Mix the milk and vanilla in a measuring cup and stir into the flour mixture.
- Drop the dough by heaping teaspoons into the simmering berries to make 16 dumplings.
- Cover the saucepan and simmer until the dumplings are cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let stand, with the lid ajar, to cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Serve the berries warm in individual bowls, each serving topped with 2 dumplings and a scoop of ice cream.