1 hr 15 mins
In 'Summer Gatherings' by Rick Rodgers
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 pints mixed berries, such as blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, hulled sliced strawberries
- 3/4 cup sugar (or more to taste)
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Combine the berries, sugar, orange juice, and butter in a nonreactive, heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven.
- 2Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- 3Cook until the berries give off their juices, about 5 minutes.
- 4Stir in the dissolved cornstarch and return to the boil.
- 5Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- 6Meanwhile, make the dumplings.
- 7Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- 8Add the butter, and using a pastry blender or a large fork, cut the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture looks crumbly with a few pea-sized pieces of butter.
- 9Mix the milk and vanilla in a measuring cup and stir into the flour mixture.
- 10Drop the dough by heaping teaspoons into the simmering berries to make 16 dumplings.
- 11Cover the saucepan and simmer until the dumplings are cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- 12Remove the pan from the heat and let stand, with the lid ajar, to cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
- 13Serve the berries warm in individual bowls, each serving topped with 2 dumplings and a scoop of ice cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mixed Berry Slump
Serving Size: 1 (363 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 628.7
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 47.8 mg
- Sodium 183.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 112.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 25.8 g
- Protein 7.6 g