Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a wonderful sauce to serve over cheesecake, pound cake or even vanilla ice cream. If you don't like mixed berries you can use the individual berries of your choice. If prefer a more tart sauce reduce sugar to 1/2 cup.
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen mixed berries (strawberries, blackberries, blueberries & red raspberries, not frozen with sugar)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- In heavy saucepan combine water, sugar, cornstarch, almond extract, brandy and lemon zest, stirring to dissolve completely.
- Add frozen berries and mix well.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer gently approximately 20-30 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Let cool then refrigerate.
Absolute waste of ingredients. Sauce came out way too watery and had way too much sugar, I even added more than the recommended amount of berries. Basically it came out to a simple syrup with a light berry aftertaste. To those who want to make an actual sauce that is tangy and thick, just juice the lemon you've zested instead of adding any water, at this point don't even bother with the brandy and put about 1/2 or 1/3 of the recommended sugar.
Totally delicious. I will be making again soon. Used it as a topping for a cream cheese and whipped cream filled cream puff pie. Too die for!!
This is the perfect recipe for over cheesecake. Mine got too thick though. Probably something I did. Very tasty!