Recipe by PaulaG
In December we were in Washington, D.C. and had a wonderful beet salad at a little bistro. This recipe is as close as it gets to replicating that experience. Roasting the beets really brings out the sweetness, lightly drizzled with the dressing, sprinkled withe feta and toasted walnuts for an elegant dining experience. Hope you enjoy.
Top Review by Cadillacgirl
This salad is to die for! We absolutely loved it! The only change I made was pecans instead of walnuts. I also steamed my beets instead of oven roasting them and cut them up a little smaller to make eating the salad easier. Thanks Paula! Made for ZWT 9
- 3 red beets with tops
- 3 yellow beets with tops
- 6 cups mixed spring greens
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, thinly sliced, separated into rings
- 1⁄3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut the tops off the beets leaving about 2 inches of the stalk. Scrub beets well and wrap in foil with 2 beets of equal size in each packet.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven until beets yield to gentle pressure; approximately 1 hour. Remove from oven, unwrap and allow to cool. When cool enough to handle, slip the skins off of the beets; set aside.
- While the beets are roasting, place the maple syrup through lemon juice in a blender container. Blend until well combined. With blender running, drizzle in the olive oil and continue to blend until thickened.
- To assemble the salad, place the greens in a large bowl and drizzle with a small amount of dressing, toss to coat. Divide the greens among 6 chilled plates. Quarter beets or if large cut in eights and divide among the plates, top with onion rings, sprinkle feta and walnuts over all.
- Serve with addition dressing on the side.