Recipe by Kumquat the Cat's friend
Posted for Zaar World Tour 2005. Although green beans have often been paired with either bacon or almonds, I've never seen a recipe for them both until I found one in a cookbook called The New Irish Table. They enhance one another quite nicely in this recipe, and it's very easy and quick to make. Imitation bacon has the smokey flavor of regular bacon, but fewer calories. I've included instructions (such as they are) for both. Butter beans and lima beans are from the same family. If you can't find frozen butter beans (favas), canned are fine but don't cook as long. They don't suggest browning the almonds, but you could do so in a 350F oven for 5 minutes or until visibly browned.
Top Review by mersaydees
This knocked my socks off! This is so simple and delicious! I used vegetarian bacon (DH complained bitterly about fake bacon! Who cares?!) and I accidentally used sugar peas instead of sugar snap peas -- there is a difference! My grocer didn't carry frozen butter beans, so I used canned ones and added them at the last minute with all the heated beans; worked out great! I cannot sing enough praises for this recipe! This is a contender for my Best of 2009 recipes. Thanks, Kumquat the Cat's friend! Made for Vegetarian Recipe Swap.
- 4 slices imitation bacon (Morningstar Farms or similar) or 4 slices bacon
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen sugar snap peas
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green beans
- 1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen butter beans
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen lima beans
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- If using imitation bacon, use one of the methods included on the package to obtain the desired consistency (soft or crisp).
- If using regular bacon, cook in a small skillet over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spatula, transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Add the sugar snap peas and green beans to a large saucepan of salted boiling water and cook for 3-4 minutes. Drain, rinse in cold water, and drain again. Set aside.
- Cook the butter beans and lima beans in boiling salted water for about 8 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Combine peas and beans in serving bowl, crumble bacon on top, and sprinkle with the almonds. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.