Recipe by bigbadbrenda
I found this recipe while looking for something I could use beans. Serve with a loaf of warm crusty bread.
Top Review by Mama_Jennie
This is a light, warming soup recipe. It would be excellent as either a light dinner or a starter soup as well. We felt like it was lacking something and wasn't as filling as a dinner soup should be. I think diced ham or bacon would really send this over the top! It's a great base to start with and the possibilites are endless. Thanks for a good soup recipe to fight off the cold Vermont winters! Made for ZWT5. :D
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery, sliced finely
- 1 carrot, diced finely
- 1 leek, sliced finely
- 14 ounces canned chopped tomatoes
- 14 ounces canned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 ounces black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 pinch dried herbs
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients except the beans into a large pot.
- Bring to boil and the simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the beans and simmer for 5 minutes or until hot.
- Serve with warm bread.
- I have used fresh tomatoes as well when I had a lot of tomatoes from the garden that were ripe.