Recipe by teapotter
I have had this in my files for a number of years and started making it because it used oil instead of a saturated fat and is eggless as well. And because it is a no-bowl cake that makes it even more appealing to me. This is not a fancy cake but a homey one and good enough and heart healthy enough for me!
Top Review by jenny574
Just made this today and it is delicious. Quick, easy, moist, not too sweet and rich. Instead of frosting, I topped it with a combination of 1/3c each brown sugar, chopped pecans, and chocolate chips before baking. Thanks for a great quick recipe!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- icing sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 9 x 13 inch cake pan, stir together, flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add milk, oil, lemon juice and vanilla. Beat with a fork until smooth, about 2 minutes. Use a rubber spatula to bring any dry ingredients clinging to sides, corners, or bottom of the pan into the batter. Level the batter in the pan with the spatula.
- Bake at 350 F for 45 to 50 minutes or until it tests done. Cool completely. Cut into squares and dust with icing sugar if desired. Makes 12 to 18 servings depending on how you cut them.