Recipe by Cupcake-Princess
When you don't think that you have enough time to make a homemade cake, don't even think about using a cake mix. Instead make this easy homemade chocolate cake that is mixed in the pan it is baked in. Top this moist cake with any type of frosting you want or no frosting at all. I got this recipe from Martha Stewert's Everyday Food Magazine from November 2009.
Top Review by BIGMANBAKING
as Chef #1296423 was saying this recipe has been around for a long time it goes back in my family almost a hundred years it was popularized in Italy during war times as supplies on eggs and milk were running short. note: it is a vegan cake recipe if left as is or combined with a vegan frosting. The Cake was so good that to this day many people claim it is the best cake recipe I have literally seen fights breakout over it and made peace with people by sharing this cake with them, it's that good. Funny thing is, everyone seems to make it a little bit different I am happy that cupcake princess did not give a frosting recipe with it. Once my sister almost got sued making it for a restaurant because someone believed she stole the recipe. this recipe has been handed down from my grandmother to my mother and her sibling and then on to my siblings. Just made a dark chocolate version today.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a square 9 inch pan stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- Add oil, vinegar, water, and vanilla. Mix until combined, making sure there are no clumps of flour mixture. Spread batter evenly in pan.
- Bake until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes. Let cake cool completley on a cooling rack.