Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an all-in-one dish from Fleischmann's Yeast. The bread bakes along with your chili. The original doesn't call for peppers but I added red and green peppers because, to me, it just isn't chili without them. I didn't use chili powder, just two tablespoon's Club House Tex Mex Seasoning in place of the package of chili seasoning mix. Also, I used no salt added tomato sauce. Tried the recipe for the first time and really liked so wanted to post it before I lost it. Note that this fills the pan right to the brim but I didn't have a problem with it spilling in the oven.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 (2 1/4 teaspoon) envelopes quick-rising yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup very warm milk (120 F to 130 F)
- 3 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup whole kernel corn, frozen or canned, drained
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 (32 -39 g) package chili seasoning mix
- 1 (500 g) can dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (250 ml) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Brown ground beef and drain.
- Spray an 8x8-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Mix cornbread batter ingredients in pan.
- Add remaining chili ingredients to browned hamburger in large skillet. Cook and stir over medium-high heat about 10 minutes, until mixture simmers. (I actually turned it down and let it simmer, only stirring it a couple of times while I mixed the batter up.).
- Top batter evenly with chili filling. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake by placing in COLD oven; set the temperature to 350°F Bake for 30 minutes, or until done.
A good solid meal that doesn't take a lot of work. i made it vegetarian (mostly because i didn't have mince on hand) and it was very nice, i'll make it again for sure. thanks!