1/4 Photos of Mititei (Small Ground Beef Sausages)
5 hrs 25 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
Author Nicolae Klepper says that mititei were invented one evening at an inn called La Iordachi in Bucharest, known for its sausages, when the kitchen ran out of casings. Originally published in Saveur in 1998. Cooking time includes five hours chilling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed into a paste
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (hot or sweet(your choice)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Combine beef, oil, garlic, baking soda, thyme, red pepper, paprika, caraway seeds, and 2 tablespoons water in a large bowl.
- 2Season with salt and pepper and knead for 5 minutes, wetting your hands frequently to help keep mixture moist.
- 3Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 5 hours.
- 4With wet hands, roll meat, 1 tablespoons at a time, into small balls, then shape balls into sausages about 3'' long and 1'' thick. Heat a grill pan over medium heat.
- 5Cook sausages in batches, turning frequently, until well browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- 6Serve as an hors d'oeuvre or with potatoes as an entrée.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mititei (Small Ground Beef Sausages)
Serving Size: 1 (957 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 46.5
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 14.7 mg
- Sodium 77.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 4.5 g