Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A dish commonly served in Romania packed with East European flavours. This recipe comes from the Hairy Bikers
- 250 g ground pork
- 250 g minced beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon harissa
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon soaked and ground caraway
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice (optional)
- meat stock or chicken stock (optional) or vegetable stock, for basting (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for frying
- Combine all the ingredients, apart from the olive oil and stock, together in a large mixing bowl.
- Knead together for about five minutes - the ingredients need to be very well combined.
- Divide the mixture into small handfuls and roll into small sausage shapes.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed frying pan or griddle. Cook the sausages over a medium heat for 20-30 minutes, or until cooked through. Turn them several times during cooking and baste with a little stock to keep them moist, if you like.
- Serve with mustard.
I made this for a fund raiser for Romanian orphans ... served 120 ... it is wonderful. Romanian visitor said it is better than the "meech" in Romania