Recipe by momaphet
This hot and sour sauce which goes well with taro, breadfruit,and other starchy vegetables or any seafood dish. The sauce is used to accompany foods from Samoa, Fiji, Tahiti or Hawaii. Use coconut cream which has no added sugar, not cream of coconut used in cocktails. I find it at local Asian grocery stores.
- 1⁄2-1 lemon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 chili pepper (green or red finely chopped)
- 1⁄4 onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup coconut cream or 1⁄2 cup thick coconut milk
- 1 -2 green onion (optional, thinly slice with some of the green)
- cilantro (optional)
- red pepper, diced (optional)
- tomatoes, diced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Juice the lemon - If you like a really sour sauce, use the whole lemon. Milder just use half.
- Put the juice and everything else in a small bowl and mix. Adjust salt as necessary. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- The spring onion is entirely optional but it adds a pretty color. You can also add finely diced sweet red peppers or tomato.