Recipe by bud's mom
Kinda like a beef stew but made with venison. Our family prefers it this way as the venison has more flavour and less fat.
- 2 lbs cubed venison
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package club house beef stew seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup dry red wine (or water)
- 4 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- black pepper
- 2 large potatoes
- 2 large parsnips
- 4 large carrots
- 3 large celery ribs
- 2 cups frozen peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat meat with flour in large ziplock bag. Heat oil in large pot. Add meat in batches to brown. remove meat and add onions and garlic until slightly brown (add more oil if needed here). Add wine to deglaze the pan. Add all water, seasoning packet and chili pepper. Return meat to pan, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 & 1/2 hours to 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- While the meat is simmering chop all vegetables. These should equal about 8 cups vegetables (not including the peas). Once meat has simmered add the vegetables (except for the peas) and continue to simmer for about 45 minutes or until tender. add frozen peas before serving.