Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a combination of both my Mom and Grandmother's recipes that I've tweeked to make my own. It brings back wonderful memories of my childhood, that I can now share with my children. FYI: Please make sure that refridgerated items are room temp before using and also make sure that you sift the cake flour/salt 3x and sift the confectioners' sugar 2x
- 3 large eggs (room-temp)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Butter Flavor Crisco
- 2 ounces red food coloring
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour, sifted (I use Swan's Down, sift 3x)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (I use or make my own from lemon juice & milk)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons white vinegar
- 0.75 (1 1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 8 ounces pkg cream cheese, softened
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F Spray pans w/Pam Baking Spray or grease and flour two 9-in. cake pans; set pans aside.
- With electric mixer on medium speed, beat eggs, shortening and sugar until well combined. Add the food coloring and cocoa, mixing well. Add the butter and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift the cake flour & salt three times. Slowly add to creamed mixture. Add the buttermilk and mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine baking soda & vinegar, stirring until baking soda is dissolved. Once dissolved, add to batter and mix well.
- Pour batter into the prepared pans & bake about 20 mins or until cake springs back upon touch. Let layers cool completely on wire racks.
- While cakes are cooling, prepare frosting. Using an electric mixer, combine butter, vanilla & cream cheese until completely blended. Reduce mixer speed & gradually add sifted confectioners' sugar. Once completely blended, add chopped pecans, if desired.
This turned out amazingly good. made one with regular flour and another with gluten free flour and xanthan gum-keeping to the recipe apart from this and this was a super success too!!!! My children loved it-gobbled up very quickly by the family! I really would recommend this recipe!!