1 hr 30 mins
Not-U-Know-Who's caviar for a crowd... the scale of the recipe found using Black-Eyed Peas if you google looking for an "eatery & café" recipe. There may be a café somewhere using B-E Peas for this "caviar" of the south, but not at the famous chain now come to my home town! This is surprisingly YUMMY and disgustingly healthful... and will be gone if taken to a large gathering covered dish. It is ALMOST addictive to nearly everyone who tries it. For all I know, folks in Mississippi might make this using Black-Eyed peas from a can... if so & this is desirable, use the googled recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -5 lbs purple hull peas, fresh frozen (Bird's Eye)
- 1 cup pimiento, drained or 1 cup diced fresh pimiento
- 1/2 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded & diced
- 1/2 medium orange bell pepper, seeded & diced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, seeded & diced
- 8 scallions, chopped
- 4 -5 jalapeno peppers, seeded & diced (membranes also removed if lower heat is desired)
- 1 medium red onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup red wine (optional, but do not increase the RW Vinegar)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, to taste up to 1 t
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste up to 1 t
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste up to 1 t
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, favorite of choice, up to 1 1/2 T
- 1In a large soup pot or dutch oven, bring the purple hull peas to a boil for 3 minutes, reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes, then drain & cover with cold water & ice to chill to stop cooking.
- 2Prep and dice all the fresh vegetables & place them in a large mixing bowl. Add the drained pimientos. Drain the chilled purple hull peas & add to the bowl. Fold gently to mix all the vegetables into a colorful blend.
- 3In a separate bowl or quart pitcher combine the oil, vinegars, red wine, seasonings, and hot sauce for the dressing. Whisk together until well blended and salt is dissolved.
- 4Pour over the dressing over the vegetables and fold gently until blended and coated. Best served chilled for 4 hours, occasionally folding the vegetables in the dressing to marinate them uniformly.
- 5Keeps well so can be made a day ahead & gets better the longer it marinates. Serve chilled or at room temp -- delicious either way. Probably will disappear quickly -- almost addictive once tried.
- 6Note: Prep time does not include chilling time.
- 7If desired, tri-color pepper mix can be all yellow or orange since red and green will still be in mix for a colorful presentation.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mississippi Tippah County Caviar for a Crowd
Serving Size: 1 (106 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 278.8
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 77.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 14.4 g