Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
A delicious, tender cake that's chock full of nuts. This is an easily frozen cake.
- 1⁄2 cup butter (not spread or tub product) or 1⁄2 cup margarine (not spread or tub product)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 cups pecans, ground
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Sift dry cake ingredients together.
- Cream butter, sugar, vanilla and whole egg until fluffy; add egg yolks one at a time and beat well after each.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternatively with water; stir until smooth.
- Grease 10 inch tube pan and line the bottom only with waxed paper.
- For the pecan mixture: Combine egg whites, salt and water. Beat at high speed until stiff, but not dry. Stir together sugar, flour, and baking powder. Gradually beat into whites until stiff. Fold in ground nuts.
- Pour half the cake batter into prepared pan.
- Drop the pecan mixture by spoonfuls on batter then top with the remaining cake batter.
- Bake for 1 hour 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan on cooling rack; turn out when cool.