Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
Hello, I have made this cake since the '70s when it first appeared in the Food section of the DALLAS Times Herald.
- Melt butter and cocoa together, remove from heat. Stir in sugar and eggs and mix well.
- Add flour, salt, nuts, coconut and vanilla.
- Mix well.
- Bake in 13x9x2 inch pan at 350 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes (check with the toothpick method). Remove from oven, spoon marshmallow cream over the cake while still very hot.
- Icing Melt butter and cocoa together, add the rest of the ingrediants.
- Spread over marshmallow layer.
- Swirl into marshmallow cream to resemble mud.
Delicious and very rich. The only different thing I did was to add a tsp of baking powder. Cake came out nice and soft. I wonder how it would taste if cake was sprinkled with some maraschino cherry juice befor putting marshmallow creme on top... Will give it a try next time!
I am so glad you shared this recipe with us. My Mom use to make this all the time and it is so good. I wish I could give it 10 stars! Now I will have this recipe in a safe place. Thank you!
I have made this several times, and always get rave reviews. Sometimes I cut the cocoa in the cake part down to 2 Tbsp, and it is still wonderful. It looks like a fancy cake, but is very easy to make.