This is a gooey and chocolaty dream. It's very moist. It's a great dessert for potlucks, dinner parties, etc. Make sure you get a piece though because it will disappear quickly! I got the recipe from the Southern Living 30 Years of our best cooking book. It's a great cook book!
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans (optional)
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 (16 ounce) package powdered sugar, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1⁄4 cup softened butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 inch pan.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan.
- Add the cocoa and stir.
- Remove from the heat.
- Pour butter mixture into a mixing bowl and add sugar and eggs.
- Mix until blended.
- Add the vanilla.
- Mix in the flour and salt.
- Stir in the pecans.
- Put batter into prepared pan and cook for 35 minutes or until done.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with marshmallows.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- For the frosting: Combine all of the ingredients and mix until smooth. Spread frosting on cooled cake.
- If your frosting is too thick, add more milk.
I have been using this recipe for years..It makes the best Mississippi Mud cake I have ever tasted....very moist and flavorful....also quick and easy....I usually melt my butter in the microwave in a mixing bowl, then pour all of the cake ingredients into the bowl and stir with a spoon until well blended..doesnt get any easier....thanks for posting...
I made this and added 1 t coffee and 1 t baking powder and half baking soda as wasn't sure if needed it or not. It was really yummy and my children and I gobbled it up in record time. Please can anyone let me know if it is supposed to have baking powder in???
This Recipe is just like the one I use except the icing is cooked like fudge. 2 c sugar 2 tbls. cocoa 1 st. butter 2/3 cans ev. milk 1 tsp. vanilla Bring everything to a boil cook 10 min. and pour over marshmellow's My baby brother's favorite Chocolate cake! Thanks for reminding me about this cake!