Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (300 g) bag miniature marshmallows
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 (1 lb) box confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans or 1 cup walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 13 by 9-inch baking pan.
- Combine the sugar, salt, and flour in a large mixing bowl.
- Bring the butter, oil, cocoa, and 1/4 cup water to a boil in a saucepan. Add to the flour mixture.
- Beat together the eggs, baking soda, buttermilk, and vanilla. Add to the chocolate mixture, mix well, and pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, make the icing by melting the butter in the cocoa and milk over low heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, then remove from the heat.
- Stir in the confectioners' sugar.
- Slowly mix in the nuts and the vanilla.
- Take the cake from the oven, and when it cools a bit cover it with miniature marshmallows.
- Pour the warm icing over the cake and the marshmallows. Cool the cake before serving.