Prep 0 mins
Cook 35 mins
This version of Mississippi Mud is a gooey brownie hunk. This was taken from Southern Living.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, melted
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup chopped pecans, divided
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (16 ounce) package powdered sugar, sifted
- Make the frosting: Beat all ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until dry ingredients are moistened. Beat at high speed until mixture reaches spreading consistency.
- Make the Brownies: Combine first 5 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add butter and eggs, stirring until smooth. Stir in 1/2 cup pecans. Pour mixture into a greased and floured 13- x 9-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately sprinkle marshmallows over top; return to oven, and bake 1-2 minutes. Remove from oven, and spread marshmallows evenly on top. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Spread Chocolate Frosting evenly over marshmallows, and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup pecans. Cool completely, and cut into squares.
- Note: If marshmallows do not spread easily after 2 minute in oven, do not bake longer. Let stand 1 to 2 minute to soften.