Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is from a flyer that I receied many years ago. I made them once and they were really tasty but I don't like to fry all that much (too much work and fat!) so I haven't made them again since. I'm going to try making them into mini muffins sometime soon!
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1⁄2 cup self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup beer
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- vegetable oil
- Combine egg and next 4 ingredients, stirring well.
- add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Pour oil to a depth of 3 inches into a dutch oven or large saucepan; heat to 375.
- Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into hot oil, and fry in batches 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- serve immediately.
I got this from Southern Living a few years ago. These are the very best hush puppies I have ever made! The only changes I made were to use peanut oil and seed the peppers. Very quick and easy to throw together! I have used fresh jalapenos and canned also. Try'em ..you'll never make them any other way and everyone will want the recipe~ Chef Judi Coleman