These are the best candied yams I have ever eaten!
Make and share this Mississippi Candied Yams recipe from Food.com.
- Combine sugar, butter, orange juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in small sauce pan and heat gently to boiling, stirring frequently.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Arrange sliced yams and lemon slices in large baking dish as one layer, or slightly overlapping.
- Pour syrup mixture over yams.
- Bake at 325:F. for 2 to 2-1/2 hours, basting thoroughly every 15-20 minutes with syrup from baking pan.
- Turn yams occasionally.
- When done, yams should be tender when pierced with point of sharp knife and syrup has been almost completely absorbed and thickened.
- This dish may be prepared early in the day, covered lightly and reheated in oven or microwave.