Recipe by COOKGIRl
The assignment: to cook freshly picked garden green beans and make magic, with no time to spare. The result: a decent recipe. Can also substitute fresh asparagus or zucchini. As always, only the freshest vegetables will work in this recipe.
- 2 cups fresh green beans, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon soy margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon regular sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder (Five Spice Mix is good)
- 2 tablespoons scallions, sliced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced finely
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon chinese black vinegar, to taste
- 1 dash salt
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted (optional, OR ()
- 1⁄2 tablespoon black sesame seed (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot of boiling water blanch the green beans for about 2 1/2 minutes but not longer than 3 minutes.
- Drain and immediately rinse with cold water to halt cooking.
- Place the cooked green beans in serving dish. Add the other ingredients and toss carefully but well.
- Adjust seasoning. Add salt if necessary. Garnish with toasted almonds or sesame seeds if desired.