Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
So easy for so much deliciousness! This is especially refreshing during the worst of our southern summers. Don't get this too far from the refrigerator, though- the icing melts easily. The original recipe, from my mom's former co-worker, recommends using Duncan Hines cake mix.
- 1 (18 ounce) box lemon cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 3⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions for a 2-layer cake.
- In a separate bowl, mix condensed milk and lemon juice to make lemon filling. Reserve 1 cup of filling.
- Cool and split the two cake layers. Fill with lemon filling.
- Gently combine Cool Whip and reserved cup of lemon filling. Frost top and sides of cake.
- Keep refrigerated.
This is such a great cake. I have had several requests to make this again. Yummmmmm!