Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 1 lb butter, softened
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger juice
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 3⁄4 cup candied ginger
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream together all ingredients in mixture, maybe take up to 5 minutes of steady working.
- While you work the dough, it is helpful to ling a little Scottish song- the shortbread depends on this for it's authenticity.
- Pat into two 3-inch cirles that are 1-inch thick, or shape it however you want.
- Prick it all over to keep it from rising too much.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to let the dough relax.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then reduce oven tempurature to 300 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from the over and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- If baked in rounds, cut into wedges.