1/1 Photo of Miss Kitty's Evolutionary Potato Salad (By Florida Native)
This is my 'evolutionary' potato salad recipe. I started making this when I was about 17 years old, and have changed ingredients over the years until it got to this point -- now, I like it just the way it is! My biggest change was once I was making this for a party and mistakenly put chili powder in instead of paprika. I got upset, but added the paprika anyway, and off we went. I got more compliments on my "messed up" potato salad than on any other occasion! And it tasted GOOD. So I stuck with it. Some of the measurements are approximate (mayo especially) as I just dump stuff in, stir it up, and taste it until it's right. And how wet you like your potato salad is a personal thing. I just KNOW when it's the right consistency for our family.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 -10 medium red potatoes, peeled, rinsed, and cubed
- 6 -8 hard-boiled eggs, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 -1 1/2 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise (when adding mayonnaise, depending on how much mayo you like, add 1/2 cup at a time until the desired)
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder (to taste)
- 7 dashes paprika
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 -5 dill pickle spears, chopped (I use Claussen)
- 1Peel potatoes, rinse, slice and cube. Place in boiling pot of water with salt and pepper to your taste. Boil 10-15 minutes, or until just tender when pierced with a fork.
- 2Remove from heat, drain, and cool potatoes.
- 3Peel and rinse HB eggs. Quarter, then coarsely chop in chunks. Set aside.
- 4In a large bowl, add potatoes, celery, and eggs.
- 5Add mustard, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, chili powder, and paprika. Stir to blend.
- 6Taste test; add more mayo to your taste and sea salt and ground pepper to taste.
- 7Add chopped dill pickles last and stir to mix.
- 8Taste test again. Adjust mayo, salt and pepper if needed.
- 9NOTE: Additional mayonnaise can be added to get salad to desired consistency. I usually add a little "extra" as it seems to get absorbed by the potatoes and I don't like it dry.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Miss Kitty's Evolutionary Potato Salad (By Florida Native)
Serving Size: 1 (203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 220.7
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 111.0 mg
- Sodium 294.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 6.1 g