Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my 'evolutionary' potato salad recipe. I started making this when I was about 17 years old, and have changed ingredients over the years until it got to this point -- now, I like it just the way it is! My biggest change was once I was making this for a party and mistakenly put chili powder in instead of paprika. I got upset, but added the paprika anyway, and off we went. I got more compliments on my "messed up" potato salad than on any other occasion! And it tasted GOOD. So I stuck with it. Some of the measurements are approximate (mayo especially) as I just dump stuff in, stir it up, and taste it until it's right. And how wet you like your potato salad is a personal thing. I just KNOW when it's the right consistency for our family.
- 8 -10 medium red potatoes, peeled, rinsed, and cubed
- 6 -8 hard-boiled eggs, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise (when adding mayonnaise, depending on how much mayo you like, add 1/2 cup at a time until the desired)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon chili powder (to taste)
- 7 dashes paprika
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 -5 dill pickle spears, chopped (I use Claussen)
- Peel potatoes, rinse, slice and cube. Place in boiling pot of water with salt and pepper to your taste. Boil 10-15 minutes, or until just tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove from heat, drain, and cool potatoes.
- Peel and rinse HB eggs. Quarter, then coarsely chop in chunks. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add potatoes, celery, and eggs.
- Add mustard, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, chili powder, and paprika. Stir to blend.
- Taste test; add more mayo to your taste and sea salt and ground pepper to taste.
- Add chopped dill pickles last and stir to mix.
- Taste test again. Adjust mayo, salt and pepper if needed.
- NOTE: Additional mayonnaise can be added to get salad to desired consistency. I usually add a little "extra" as it seems to get absorbed by the potatoes and I don't like it dry.
My goodness this is tasty. I wish all my 'errors' would result in something this good. I ended up doubling the chili powder and loved every bit of it. Made this for our annual New Years BBQ, and it was enjoyed by all. Thanks for a great recipe FN. This is going to be my 'go-to' potato salad. :) Thanks also for being such a wonderful Secret Santa. You sure spoiled me.