Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This was Mimi's (my mom's) chili recipe, which I grew up on. I've made some changes over the years, and this is how it ended up! It's not real thick, but it's full of chunky goodness. You can always use less liquid if desired, but we like it this way. I sprinkle grated jalapeno jack cheese on top and we have it with cornbread. We've also had this over prepared sea-shell pasta or elbow macaroni.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef or 1 lb ground buffalo meat
- 1 lb hot turkey breakfast sausage or 1 lb pork sausage, ground
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups water (I prefer chicken) or 2 cups prepared chicken stock (I prefer chicken) or 2 cups beef stock (I prefer chicken)
- 1 (48 ounce) bottle tomato juice
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons chili con carne seasoning or 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 5 dashes ground red pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 2 (15 ounce) canslight red kidney beans (drained and rinsed) or 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice (optional)
- In a large stock pot, add oil, onions, and ground meats. Lightly brown meat and onions over medium heat.
- Add water (or broth), tomato juice, chili seasoning, paprika, red pepper, and salt.
- Add beans and tomatoes.
- Simmer for 2-3 hours on low heat, stirring occasionally.
Really good chili,pretty much the same way I make mine. Made for Soups On,2010.