Recipe by quixoposto
This was passed to me via a friend from an Ethiopian family. Berbere is a spice.
Top Review by Luvivane
The final product is very good; however, the liquid does not cook down in the alloted time. I think 4 cups of water is too much liquid for 1 cup of lentils. I am going to reduce the amount of water next time I use this recipe.
- 1 cup red lentil
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon berbere, divided
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons plain yogurt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse lentils.
- Saute onions in oil for 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add lentils, water, tomato and half of the berbere.
- Simmer 45 minutes.
- Add the other 1/2 of the berbere together with the salt.
- Optional: a dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream.