This is a satisfying meal all by itself! It has a wonderful variety of colors, textures and savory flavors --- and it is SO good for you! Miso contains beneficial microorganisms which aid in digestion and immunity. This is another fantastic recipe from The Great American Detox Diet by Alex Jamieson (from Supersize Me). Miso and sea vegetables should be available from your local health food store or Asian market.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup quinoa, rinsed well and drained
- 4 1/2 cups water (preferably filtered water)
- 1 inch kombu seaweed
- 2 tablespoons arame seaweed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped firm tofu, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup sliced carrot
- 3 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 -2 tablespoon miso
- 1 cup thinly sliced bok choy or 1 cup napa cabbage
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sliced scallions
- 1/2 teaspoon dulse flakes (sea vegetable)
- 1Combine the quinoa with 1 cup of the water and the kombu in a small saucepan. Cover, set over medium-high heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce to low and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the quinoa is cooked through.
- 2Meanwhile, soak the arame in 1 cup of water. Set aside.
- 3In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat, add the onion and garlic and sautee for about 5 minutes.
- 4Add the tofu and the remaining 2 1/2 cups of water, carrot, and mushrooms. Cover and simmer on medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 5Remove the kombu from the quinoa and discard it. Add the quinoa to the stew.
- 6Measure the miso into a small bowl and add 1/2 cup of the hot stew liquid. Using a whisk, dissolve the miso into the liquid and return the mixture to the saucepan. Do not boil or simmer.
- 7Add the bok choy or napa cabbage and the soy sauce and stir to combine. This will barely wilt the greens.
- 8Rinse and drain the arame and add to the stew.
- 9Pour into 2 bowls and garnish with scallions and dulse.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Miso Stew
Serving Size: 1 (751 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 240.0
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 541.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 9.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: