Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Cooking the Japanese Way.
- 1⁄4 lb chicken breast
- 9 ounces ramen noodles
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 inch gingerroot, crushed
- 6 tablespoons miso
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- salt and pepper
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Place chicken in a large saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to low, cover pan, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove chicken to a plate to cool.
- While chicken is simmering, cook noodles in 6 cups boiling water until the soften, about 3 minutes.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Divide noodles among four bowls. When chicken is cool enough to handle, use your fingers and shred into thin strips. Divide a among the bowls, on top of the noodles.
- In a saucepan, combine chicken broth, ginger root and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove ginger.
- In a small bowl combine miso and a small amount of the broth. Mix well then add to the saucepan. Add soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour hot broth into bowls. Garnish with scallions and serve.