from fine cooking, this is really quick and simple to make. this can easily be doubled or tripled. if you don't like tofu then omit it- you can add cooked beef, chicken- use your imagination.
- combine water and mushrooms in a saucepan, bring to a boil.
- remove from heat, remove mushrooms.
- cut off stems, discard, slice caps thinly.
- return to water, bring back to simmer and cook 15-20 minutes.
- add spinach and tofu, simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- remove from heat.
- in a small bowl combine miso with 2 tbsp of broth and mix well.
- stir into soup.
- sprinkle each serving with sliced scallions and 1/4 tsp of sesame oil.
Very good! I used fresh shiitake mushrooms, but that's all I changed. This is light, yet flavorful. I used toasted sesame oil and a dash of chili oil for garnish. Loved it. Thanx!
This was awesome :-) First time making miso soup and hubby & I both agree, it was almost better than the one in our favorite Japanese restaurant. I made a few changes; used dry oyster mushrooms instead of shitakee, omitted the spinach, tofu & the sesame oil. It turned out beautifully. Definitely a keeper, thx for a wonderful recipe Chia.
yum! my first time using miso. i enjoyed this very much. next time i may try a different type of shroom- the shitake were pretty tough/chewy to me. other than that very good. thanks!