from fine cooking, this is really quick and simple to make. this can easily be doubled or tripled. if you don't like tofu then omit it- you can add cooked beef, chicken- use your imagination.
- combine water and mushrooms in a saucepan, bring to a boil.
- remove from heat, remove mushrooms.
- cut off stems, discard, slice caps thinly.
- return to water, bring back to simmer and cook 15-20 minutes.
- add spinach and tofu, simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- remove from heat.
- in a small bowl combine miso with 2 tbsp of broth and mix well.
- stir into soup.
- sprinkle each serving with sliced scallions and 1/4 tsp of sesame oil.