Recipe by chia
from fine cooking, this is really quick and simple to make. this can easily be doubled or tripled. if you don't like tofu then omit it- you can add cooked beef, chicken- use your imagination.
Top Review by *Parsley*
Very good! I used fresh shiitake mushrooms, but that's all I changed. This is light, yet flavorful. I used toasted sesame oil and a dash of chili oil for garnish. Loved it. Thanx!
- 2 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1⁄2 cup medium silken tofu
- 3 cups cold water
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons dark miso (red or brown)
- 2 tablespoons scallion tops, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
Directions See How It's Made
- combine water and mushrooms in a saucepan, bring to a boil.
- remove from heat, remove mushrooms.
- cut off stems, discard, slice caps thinly.
- return to water, bring back to simmer and cook 15-20 minutes.
- add spinach and tofu, simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- remove from heat.
- in a small bowl combine miso with 2 tbsp of broth and mix well.
- stir into soup.
- sprinkle each serving with sliced scallions and 1/4 tsp of sesame oil.