Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
The go red for women cookbook.
- 1⁄2 inch piece gingerroot
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon white miso, paste. (Shiro miso)
- 1 teaspoon mirin or 1 teaspoon white sherry wine
- 1 teaspoon plain rice vinegar
- 6 ounces dry-pack scallops
- 2 scallions
- 6 ounces dried soba noodles
- 1⁄2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon canola oil
- Bring a deep pot of water to a boil over high heat
- Meanwhile peel the ginger then finely grate it into a shallow glass dish.
- Mince the garlic and add to the dish.whisk in the miso the mirin or sherry and the vinegar. Add the scallops and turn to coat.
- Marinate for fifteen minutes.
- Trim the scallions, the cut into 2 inch pieces. Cut each piece lengthwise into very thin strips placing them in a mixing bowl as you work.
- Add the soba noodles to the boiling water stirring to make sure they don't stick. Once the water boils again, add 1 cup cool tap water. Cook just long enough for the water to return to a boil. Then add another cup of water. Once the water returns to a boil the n check the noodles for doneness. They should be firm yet tender. Drain then immediately transfer to the mixing bowl with the scallions. Drizzle with the toasted sesame oil and toss to coat and incorporate. Cover loosely to keep warm.
- Heat the canola oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium Heat. Remove the scallops from the marinade, use a paper towel and pat them dry. Then add them to the skillet.
- Cook about 6 mins total, turning over the scallops once as the edges brown and crisp and they should become just opaque. Be careful not to overcook.
- Divide the dressed soba noodles between bowls or plates. Top each portion with scallops. Serve right away.