Recipe by Sharon123
Yum! Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay from his show Bobby Flay's Barbecue Addiction, episode - Japanese Grillin'. I have tweaked it just a bit.
- 1⁄2 cup white miso (also called shiro miso)
- 1⁄4 cup cups sake (or mirin or sherry or rice wine vinegar or add 1/4 teaspoon of sugar to 1/4 cup wine wine)
- 2 tablespoons honey (or sugar)
- 6 Japanese eggplants, halved lengthwise (or regular eggplants, cut lengthwise into 1-inch-1 1/2-inch strips)
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- chopped of fresh mint, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat a charcoal grill for direct grilling over high heat or you can use the broiler, on high.
- Whisk together the miso, sake, sugar and 2 tablespoons water until combined.
- Brush the cut-side of the eggplant with the oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the eggplant, cut-side down, until lightly golden brown, about 4 minutes. Turn the eggplant over, brush with some of the glaze and continue grilling for 2 more minutes. Brush with more glaze, flip over and grill until the cut-side is caramelized, about 4 minutes.
- Remove to a platter, cut-side up, and sprinkle with mint.