Recipe by HawaiiChef79
From "Ofukuro no Aji" cookbook.
Top Review by Rinshinomori
This is indeed something ofukuro makes throughout Japan with some variation. Added a bit of sake and for color julienned carrots right before serving. This dish is perfect accompaniment to steamed white rice. Did not use cornstarch or optional water - did not need it. Thank you for posting. Made for Asian forum tag game Unrated Asian Recipe Cookbook.
- 1 lb Japanese eggplant (about 2 medium sized, long eggplants)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon mirin (optional) or 1 tablespoon sake (optional)
- 2 tablespoons light miso
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)
- 1 tablespoon water (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice eggplant into 1/4-inch circles.
- Fry in sesame seed oil for a few minutes.
- Add water and mirin or sake and cover and simmer until tender.
- Mix miso, soy sauce and sugar in a small bowl.
- Add to the eggplant mixture and stir-fry.
- Optional: For a thicker "gravy", Mix optional cornstarch and water together. Bring to boil and add cornstarch mixture. Let boil for one more minute, stirring constantly and lower temperature to simmer for 5 more minutes.