Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
This crazy simple 3-ingredient chicken dish from Rozanne Gold's "Low Carb 1-2-3" really works because miso is a great carrier of flavors. You can make this dish with fresh ginger or prepare it with garlic cloves pushed through a press. Preparation time does not include 1 day marinating time. Start this dish the day before. Feel free to dress this up with additional spices/herbs if you want (although it is not necessary). You can make this with chicken thighs, as well.
- 1⁄3 cup white miso (shiro)
- 1 6-inch piece fresh ginger or 4 garlic cloves
- 4 large chicken breast halves, on the bone with skin (about 10 ounces each)
- The day before you plan to serve, in a large bowl, combine the miso and 1/3 cup cold water and whisk until thoroughly combined, smooth, and thick.
- Using a small, sharp knife, peel the ginger. Grate the ginger on the large holes of a box grater. Wrap the grated ginger in a paper towel and squeeze the ginger juice, about 2 tablespoons, through the paper towel into the bowl with the miso. Stir to incorporate. (If using garlic variation, push 4 large cloves through a garlic press and add to the miso-water mixture.).
- Cut the chicken breasts in half across the width of each breast. Add the chicken to the miso mixture and turn the pieces to coat thoroughly. Sprinkle the chicken liberally with salt. For a more gingery flavor, you can finely chop the remaining ginger pulp, add it to the chicken, and mix again. Cover and refrigerate for 18 to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 500°F.
- Remove the chicken from the bowl, making sure some marinade remains on the chicken, and transfer to a rimmed baking sheet, skin side up. Bake for 10 minutes, then put under the broiler, about 6” from the heat, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the skin is dark golden brown and the chicken is just firm to the touch. (Be careful not to overcook.) Remove the skin and serve immediately.