Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Japanese tofu dish. Yumm! Posted for ZWT II 'o6
- 1 lb firm tofu, pressed
- 1⁄3 cup miso
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons soymilk
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons sesame oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to broil or highest setting. Cover a cookie sheet with tin foil.
- Combine all ingredients except tofu and oil using blender or mixer. Slowly add oil and mix until smooth and creamy. Pour mixture into wide bowl or pan.
- Cut tofu into 1/2 inch thick pieces and dip into miso mixture until coated with a thin layer, reserving some of the mixture.
- Gently lay tofu pieces on covered cookie sheet. Broil 8-10 minutes until golden brown and slightly crisp.
- Remove from oven. Turn the pieces over and "baste" another layer of miso mixture over the pieces with a spoon.
- Broil 8-10 more minutes until browned and crisp.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired and enjoy!
This is lovely! I bit too sweet for my taste, so I ended up adding extra ginger and garlic. Next time I won't use as much sugar.
This was very tasty! I used a couple of tsp. of fresh garlic instead of granules and mirin instead of sugar. I tossed some carrots, celery, and potatoes in a baking pan along with the sauce and tofu. I baked it for 40 minutes at 450 and turned the broiler on for the last 5 minutes. This would taste great with some pickled ginger and daikon radish!
This was really good. I halved the sauce, but wish I hadn't so I could have had some extra sauce for my quinoa.