Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
If you get the chance to visit the northern areas of Pakistan,you would find many small restaurant/khokhay serving this delicious Chicken Karahi. It is EXTREMELY easy to prepare .I get a lot of compliments for this dish. Try it out and you will be amazed by the taste and the preparation time. Ideal for newly married girls who want to impress their husband and in-laws of their cooking skills.:o)
- Heat oil.
- Add chicken.
- Fry on low hear till the water in the chicken dries.
- After the water dries fry the chicken in the oil till it turns light brown.
- Add salt, red pepper, ginger and garlic.
- Cut tomatoes and add in the chicken.
- Cover the wok/pot and cook at low heat.
- Let the tomatoes cook and when you see the oil on the chicken, sprinkle fresh coriander.
- Chicken Karahi is prepared.
- Serve Hot!
- P.S: You can also add 1 tbsp of Achar Gosht Masala available at the Asian grocery stores.
I had to scale down since I was cooking just for myself. I am from India and I know that this tastes a lot like the Karahi chicken I've eaten as a child in the houses of my North Indian Muslim friends. This is exquisite! For people trying out this recipe for the first time, I'd like to mention that drying up the chicken on a low flame requires patience. Do not panic if you have already spent five minutes stirring the chicken and it's still not dry. Just be patient; the end result is definitely worth it. The low flame is key to cooking this dish right, though, I must say.
Great simple recipe. There is an error though, this should serve at least sixteen people since it is 4 lbs and four people can eat in a pound of boneless chicken. I also add whole green chilies to it too.
It's simply amazing, just like Karahi I've been enjoying so much in Pakistan. Thank you!