Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Mirlitons are squash about the size of large pears. They have delicate pale green skin, rather bland white flesh, and soft seeds. I'm planning on making this tomorrow. From The Best of Southern Living.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 large mirlitons, peeled, seeded, and chopped*
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (32 ounce) container chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) canschopped green chilies
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- chopped bacon (optional)
- Melt butter in a dutch oven over medium-high heat; add militons and next 4 ingredients, and saute 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Sprinkle with flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually add chicken broth, stirring constantly.
- Stir in corn and next 5 ingredients; cook, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes. Stir in lime juice. Ladle into bowls, and sprinkle with cheddar cheese and bacon, if desired.
- *NOTE: 4 large yellow squash or zucchini, seeded and chopped, maybe be substituted for mirlitons.