2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
My "tweaked" version of a Commander's Palace recipe. This has quickly become an instant Thanksgiving favorite. Really, a taste of New Orleans! If mirliton (or chayote squash) is unavailable, you can substitute eggplant. Important: Boil the mirlitons BEFORE peeling them, as peeling raw mirliton is murder on your hands!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter
- 1 large onion, medium diced
- 3 celery ribs, medium diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, medium diced
- 1 red bell pepper, medium diced
- 6 -8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lb andouille sausage, medium diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 -3 lbs gulf shrimp, medium, peeled and de-veined
- creole seasoning
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 8 cups French bread, roughly chopped and lightly toasted
- 8 -9 medium mirlitons
- 1Cook unpeeled mirliton in salted water 40 minutes to an hour or until fork tender. Drain and cool, but do not shock with cold water. Peel with vegetable peeler, remove seeds and mash lightly, drain some, but not all liquid that accumulates after mashing.
- 2In a large soup pan, melt butter and brown andouille. Add onions, celery, peppers, garlic, and herbs. Cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender.
- 3Add shrimp, Creole seasoning and chicken stock; cook until shrimp are just cooked. (pink and curled). Remove bay leaves.
- 4Remove from heat and add mirlitons, then bread, stirring with a wooden spoon until bread is moist but not too wet, adjust seasoning. You may add more bread or stock depending on dryness.
- 5Grease 3 in deep casserole with butter, add dressing, and cover with foil.
- 6Bake in preheated 350F oven 50 minutes or til bubbly around edges; remove foil and continue cooking until brown, about 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mirliton, Andouille, & Gulf Shrimp Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (529 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 635.0
- Calories from Fat 270
- Total Fat 30.0 g
- Saturated Fat 14.3 g
- Cholesterol 211.2 mg
- Sodium 1352.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 33.8 g