Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
I came up with this version of hummous tonight and I am very pleased with it. This is a great carb meal for Somersizers with some toasted whole wheat pita or bread. You can vary the amounts of garlic and pepper to suit your taste, and add whatever spices you like.
- 1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 cup soft white cheese (like neufchatel, I used 1/2% fat)
- Drain and rinse the chick peas.
- Pour into the container of a blender with the steel knife in place.
- Add the lemon zest and the juice.
- Add the salt, pepper and garlic.
- Puree until smooth.
- Add the white cheese and puree until completely mixed and smooth.
Delicious! I was looking for a lower fat hummous and this really fit the bill. I only used a tablespoon of neufchatel and I used real garlic and added a teaspoon of cumin. Thanks for recommending this recipe, will make often!
Wow, I ate it all by myself! I used a lime instead of lemon, loved the fresh citrus flavor! Really different with the cream cheese. Loved it! Thanks Mirj!
Great recipe, I am going to experiment with added spices like cumin, coriander, nutmeg, chili powder, and/or even a dash of ginger or curry for a little spicier taste.