Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is really a very easy dessert that tastes great, especially served warm with vanilla ice cream. I've done it with all sorts of canned fruit, comes out perfect every time!
- Melt the margarine and pour into a Pyrex baking dish, about 8 inches square.
- You can also melt this directly into the Pyrex dish in the microwave.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and water.
- Pour this on top of the melted margarine.
- DO NOT MIX!
- Pour the cherries and their syrup on top of this batter.
- DO NOT MIX!
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 1 hour.
- The cherries will sink to the bottom, the crust will rise to the top.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- I've also done this with canned plum (depitted first), canned fruit cocktail, canned blueberries.
- It's so simple and tastes great!
This was very good, very easy, very inexpensive...what a winner! The first time I made it, I used a pan that was too small and had a problem with overflow (even then, it was tasty). I just made it tonight in a standard glass Pyrex loaf pan, and it was perfect. I used real butter instead of margarine, and the fruit I chose was a tin of Very Cherry Fruit Cocktail -- delicious! Thanks for this easy recipe, Mirj; it'll become a regular dessert in my home, guaranteed.
This was a great recipe that I through together in a couple of minutes. I served it warm on a cold winter day with whipped cream on top and got lots of compliments. I poured in all the juice from the cherries and found the bottom a little too soupy. Definately will make again and experiment with other fruits.
Excellent. I fixed this recipe one morning for something to have with coffee. I used pitted tart cherries and it turned out very well, sweet, but retained just enough tartness. I will definitely make this again. Thank you for posting this Mirjam.