Recipe by Mirj
I was looking for the perfect coconut ice cream recipe and just couldn't find one, not even here on Zaar! I finally found something close to what I was looking for, and tweaked it to exactly how I wanted my coconut ice cream to turn out. Most of the time I sub non-dairy Rich Whip instead of the cream because we prefer our desserts to be non-dairy for religious reasons. I'm posting the recipe as I make it, feel free to use real cream.
- 6 large egg yolks (save the whites for meringues)
- 2 cups Rich Whip (or 2 cups of heavy cream)
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat the egg yolks with a mixer until they are a pale yellow and form a thick ribbon.
- In a saucepan, scald the cream.
- Gradually stir 1 cup of the cream into the egg yolks.
- Add the yolk mixture back to the saucepan.
- Cook the custard for another 2 - 4 minutes. Do not boil. You want the custard to coat the back of a spoon.
- Cool the cream mixture and whisk in the can of coconut milk, salt and the vanilla.
- Chill for at least 4 hours.
- Put the chilled custard in the freezer container of your ice cream maker.
- Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Alternatively, if you are pressed for time, just pour the stuff into a piece of Tupperware and place in the freezer. That works just fine as well.