Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1⁄3 cup prune puree (see Note below)
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee or 1 tablespoon espresso granules
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄3 cups unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 2⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Combine the first 5 ingredients; stir well, and set aside. Combine cocoa and next 4 ingredients (cocoa through salt); stir well, and set aside.
- Combine sugar and egg whites in a large bowl; beat at high speed of a mixer 3 minutes or until mixture resembles marshmallow creme. Add Prune Puree mixture; beat at low speed until well-blended.
- Sprinkle flour mixture over egg white mixture, and fold in gently. Fold in chocolate morsels. Spread batter evenly into a 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 325°F for 25 minutes or until brownies spring back when touched lightly in center. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Makes 35 brownies. I suggest enjoying them with a big glass of skim milk!
- Note: To make prune puree, combine 1-1/3 cups (8 oz.) pitted prunes and 6 T water in the container of a food processor. Pulse on and off until prunes are finely chopped. Makes 1 cup.