Recipe by mailbelle
My sister introduced me to homemade egg rolls with this recipe. It's more time consuming than other recipes I make, but worth it. If you've got "helpers" to help roll them, that saves a lot of time. Usually after we've stir-fried all the ingredients, we put the bowl in the middle of the table, give everybody a spoon, and let everyone roll their own. Kids love it!
Top Review by kittycatmom
We really enjoyed these egg rolls! I used 1/2 ground turkey and 1/2 ground pork. The veggie/meat ratio is just right, I did add 1 shredded carrot (I am always looking for a delicious way to get more veggies into our diet!) This is an easy to follow recipe big on flavor! Thank you mailbelle! I doubled the recipe and flash frozen 1/2 the eggrolls so I can have them again very soon! Made for Unrated Asain Recipe Tag
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 1 green onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 lb pork, minced, mixed with
- 1 teaspoon oil, and
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cooking sherry
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup bamboo shoot, shredded
- 1⁄2 lb bean sprouts
- 20 egg roll wraps
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 4 cups oil, for deep-frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in wok or frying pan. Stir-fry green onion 30 seconds or until aroma comes.
- Add pork. Stir-fry 1 minutes until color changes. Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 1 tablespoon cooking sherry. Cook 1 minute. Remove.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in wok or frying pan. Stir-fry cabbage and bamboo shoots 1 minute. Remove.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in work or frying pan. Stir-fry bean sprouts 1 minute. Remove.
- Combine pork and vegetables in wok. Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon soy sauce. Stir-fry until thoroughly heated.
- Remove to colander to drain liquid. Let mixture cool.
- Put 2 heaping tablespoonsful of meat mixture on each wrapper. Roll lengthwise into envelopes about 4 inches long and 1 inch wide. Seal with dissolved cornstarch.
- Heat 4 cups oil. Deep-fry egg rolls 3-4 minutes, until golden brown.