Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
The LA Times voted this "meal of the year" a few years back. Haven't made this yet, but thought it would interest those who keep kosher or who don't eat pork. Enjoy!
- 4 lbs whole corned beef
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 whole clove
- 1 (31 ounce) canspiced peaches
- Cover corned beef with water in a large pot.
- Add bay leaves and onion.
- Cook over medium heat about 3 hours, until meat is very tender.
- While meat is cooking, mix mustard and brown sugar.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Take meat from water and remove all visible fat.
- Insert cloves into meat as if it were ham.
- Cover the meat with the mustard mixture and bake 1 hour, basting frequently with the peach syrup.
- Surround meat with spieced peaches and serve.
I first read of this recipe in "Tender at the Bone". This book has several amzing recipes, and is a must for the food lover in everyone.