For the Margarita lovers and a Nice finish for your next Mexican Fiesta. Make sure you serve this with some heated cajeta or carmel topping to drizzle over each slice. Adapted from "Viva Margarita" by W. Park Kerr
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier
- 1 teaspoon very finely grated orange peel, colored part only (zest)
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup caramel ice cream topping or 1⁄2 cup cajeta caramel topping
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box butter recipe cake mix
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup tequila
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon very finely grated lime zest, colored part only
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut (optional)
- Cooks Note: If you are using a cake mix other than a butter recipe cake, follow the directions on the box for making the batter substituting 1/2 cup tequila for 1/2 cup of the water.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In large bowl, whisk sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, 3 eggs, orange liqueur and orange zest. Set aside.
- Generously spray 12-cup Bundt pan with spray. Pour caramel sauce in bottom of pan. Set aside.
- Prepare batter by beating cake mix, water, tequila, butter, eggs, and lime zest on low speed for 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. If using, fold coconut into batter. Pour batter on top of caramel in pan.
- Stir milk mixture and gradually pour over cake batter (milk mixture will sink and batter will rise).
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes. Unmold onto serving plate. Let cool completely.