White Rose Child's Note:
This comfort-filled, nourishing soup is my modification from one in "Vegan Vittles". May I note how delicious it is served with garlic bread?
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup carrot, chopped
- 3/4 cup sweet potato, peeled if desired and diced
- 1 -1 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 3 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups water or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup low-sodium tomato juice
- 1/4 cup sodium-free tomato paste
- 3 cups black beans (2 15-oz cans, drained and rinsed)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 -3 cups turnip greens (an leafy greens) (optional) or 2 -3 cups bok choy (an leafy greens) (optional) or 2 -3 cups kale (an leafy greens) (optional)
- 1Add all the vegetables (down to celery) to a large pot with a little water. Cover and get them cooking to soften 'em up.
- 2Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the garlic, oil, and herbs.
- 3When the onion is translucent (after about 5-7 minutes) remove the lid to let most of the extra water evaporate. When it has, add the garlic mixture and stir well.
- 4Cover again and let vegetables caramelize a little, stirring every minute or so for 2-3 minutes.
- 5When they're starting to smell really good (but before they stick and burn!), add the salt, pepper, liquids, beans, tomato paste and soy sauce. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat and let simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- 7If desired, add the chopped greens a few minutes before serving. Take the pot off the heat, stir them in and cover the pot to let them wilt instead of getting overcooked and mushy.
- 8Ladle it up and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Miracle Black Bean-Veggie Soup
Serving Size: 1 (381 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 187.4
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 330.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 9.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sodium-free tomato paste