Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This comfort-filled, nourishing soup is my modification from one in "Vegan Vittles". May I note how delicious it is served with garlic bread?
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup sweet potato, peeled if desired and diced
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 3 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups water or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup low-sodium tomato juice
- 1⁄4 cup sodium-free tomato paste
- 3 cups black beans (2 15-oz cans, drained and rinsed)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 -3 cups turnip greens (an leafy greens) (optional) or 2 -3 cups bok choy (an leafy greens) (optional) or 2 -3 cups kale (an leafy greens) (optional)
- Add all the vegetables (down to celery) to a large pot with a little water. Cover and get them cooking to soften 'em up.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the garlic, oil, and herbs.
- When the onion is translucent (after about 5-7 minutes) remove the lid to let most of the extra water evaporate. When it has, add the garlic mixture and stir well.
- Cover again and let vegetables caramelize a little, stirring every minute or so for 2-3 minutes.
- When they're starting to smell really good (but before they stick and burn!), add the salt, pepper, liquids, beans, tomato paste and soy sauce. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- If desired, add the chopped greens a few minutes before serving. Take the pot off the heat, stir them in and cover the pot to let them wilt instead of getting overcooked and mushy.
- Ladle it up and enjoy!
Nicely spiced black bean soup, it certainly would be good with garlic bread! I used only one can of beans since I was making this for three of us and left the amount of veggies the same and added the optional kale, which made this soup just beautiful. I added some hot chili sauce to mine for heat - otherwise wouldn't change a thing.
Great soup! I didn't have any tomato juice so I added a can of fire roasted tomatoes with green chilies... it was a bit too spicy so I added some balsamic vinegar and cheese to cool it off. I also added some white kidney beans for color. Thanks for posting, I'm sure I'll be making this again.