Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
Taken from 'Baking and Desserts' cook book - Food Fact : Condensed milk is pasteurised, homogenised milk that has been reduced to about two-thrds of its orignal volume by boiling under strictly controlled conditions. It is no longer advised to boil the can of condensed milk when wishing to convert the milk to a golden toffee filling as in banoffee pie. Instead, either place the milk in a heavy-based saucepan and boil gently, or place in a glass bowl, cover with clingfilm, pierce an cook on medium for 1-2 minutes at a time in a microwave. Keep checking to ensure the milk does not burn.
- 100 g butter, melted
- 125 g biscuits, crumbs (digestive)
- 175 g chocolate chips
- 75 g desiccated coconut (or shredded)
- 125 g nuts, chopped (mixed)
- 400 g sweetened condensed milk (can)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 10 minutes before baking. Generously butter a 23 cm square tin and line with non-stick baking paper.
- Pour the butter into the prepared tin and sprinkle the biscuit crumbs over in an even layer.
- Add the chocolate chips, coconut and nuts in even layers and drizzle over the condensed milk.,.
- Transfer the tin to the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool in the tin then cut into 12 squares and serve.