Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Southern Living.
Make and share this Minute Steak With Mushroom Gravy recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (reduced fat is ok)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb cubed sirloin steak
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 (8 ounce) packagesliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a bowl, whisk together the first 4 ingredients; set aside.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper over steaks.
- In a shallow dish, stir together the remaining salt and pepper, and flour; dredge steaks in flour mixture.
- In a large skillet, let the oil get hot over medium-high heat; fry steaks 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove steaks, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Add mushrooms and thyme to skillet; stir/saute 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Stir soup mixture into mushroom mixture; cook 1 minute, stirring to loosen particles from the bottom of skillet.
- Bring to a boil and return steaks to skillet.
- Cover, lower heat, and simmer 15-20 minutes or until done.
I was so glad to see this posted ~ I made for dinner last night from the SL Annual. The dish is very easy to make and the flavor is great. I made it as posted and had dinner on the table in a little over 30 mintues. I served with mashed potatoes.
This was delicious! I love how quick these can be cooked up considering many traditional minute steak recipes call for baking them for long periods of time in the oven to make them tender. When I was making the gravy, I added more of the buttermilk to thin it out thinking that I wouldn't have enough sauce to pour over noodles. In the end, I shouldn't have messed with it because the gravy was a little too thin and I would've had enough. This was very peppery but we liked it that way. Thanks for posting!