1/1 Photo of Minute Rice Five Spice Casserole
Chef Garlic's Note:
Back around 1950, my grandmother found the recipe off the back of the Minute Rice box. Since then, it has become a family favorite, that we all request at some point in time. It is rather easy, and we usually serve it with cole slaw as the side dish. Plus, it makes wonderful leftovers!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef (lean is great, as you don't need to drain it)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil (or any oil you like)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt or 1 1/2 teaspoons no-salt brand salt
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 dash pepper, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder or 1/8 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme (ground basil also works)
- 1/8 teaspoon oregano (ground is best)
- 1 -2 bay leaf (try to take them out before baking)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can mushroom soup, reduced fat works okay
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (the larger "family size" is good)
- 1 cup Minute Rice
- 8 slices sharp cheddar cheese, reduced fat is good
- 1Brown meat in oil, add onions and cook until tender.
- 2Stir in seasonings, soup, tomatoes, and Minute rice.
- 3Simmer 5 minutes.
- 4Stir occasionally.
- 5Spoon into 1 1/2 quart baking dish. (But I only use a cast iron skillet, since it is both oven and stove top friendly. Plus, my Grandmother always made it in a cast iron skillet, and I did learn from her. She was the best cook for comfort foods.).
- 6Criss cross with cheese and broil until cheese melts.
- 7Garnish with olives if desired.
- 8Instead of olives, we sometimes use jalepenos.
- 9Also, this recipe works well when you cook it in a cast iron skillet- you only dirty one dish that way!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Minute Rice Five Spice Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (332 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 662.4
- Calories from Fat 348
- Total Fat 38.7 g
- Saturated Fat 18.9 g
- Cholesterol 135.9 mg
- Sodium 2038.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 39.4 g